Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Searching for good Art...and actually finding it

Scorched Earth By Mark Bradford


As the new Gallery Education Intern at the ICA....(yes devoted bloggers I did indeed get my internship!) I feel that is my civic duty to introduce to you Mark Bradford. If you don't know Mark Bradford think of an Urban Joan Mitchell meets Robert Rauschenberg meets a guy who really has his art shit together. If anyone hasn't noticed the ICA really hasn't had much in the way of painters this past uhh century? Thank goodness a great artist found his way to Boston!


My dear fellow artists Leigh Champagne who has a solo show entitled "fingered" coming as soon as she manages to graduate from the Art Ed Program @ MassArt (soon to become a household name to be sure), nearly fainted on the train the other day seeing the advertisements. Leigh muses on the event by stating "I amused myself the whole ride in... I didn't need my Ipod OR my girlie book, just Mark" (can we think of another art museum putting a lot of advertisements on the train that I am NOT going to talk about... if you want to know why I think that "American Art" is boring...shhh). But this is all besides the point... Let's go over these brief points of why he is awesome and you should check him out.. but i refuse to tell you more than a little because then you are just going to have to visit me and make the final decision on your own (or with my help).


Okay so number 1: Let's talk about Texture (baby let's talk about string and wa-ax)... this guy started off as a sign maker in his sister's hair salon and knows about noise and MATERIALS... in his paintings you do not find just paint... he is a collagist at heart and works with found objects, posters, wax and yes... String.


Number 2: As I was discussing with the head of the gallery education department (yeah we are likethis) I think a good piece of artwork has both the universal appeal, the personal aspect and the right execution... this guy definitely has that. He is not only inspird by maps (maps are becoming so badass that even I'm getting into them!) but also the urban landscape of LA and his own personal identity of the way he grew up. Combining all that with his art looking cool and we do have a winner!


Number 3: He actually uses paint... I just always feel like that's a plus when a modern artist doesn't feel the need to do something different but does something unique in a world where people are convinced to doodle on whales and commit all sorts of ridiculous things I think it's awesome and pretty brave that a guy like this is willing to do something awesome and actually get recognized.


Okay so if I haven't won you over yet come and I'll talk you into it by showing his works in person.. I believe the show opens on Friday!






1 comment:

  1. I am really impress from your posted information. Thanks for sharing
    cheap art supplies

    ReplyDelete